Wednesday 4 June 2008

Happy Anniversary, house!

Monday marked the date 26 years ago when I moved into this house. It all looked very different then, rather battered after a family with five children and their large shaggy dog had been raised in it, and owners who had enjoyed rather experimental and amateur DIY involving a great number of polystyrene ceiling tiles and determined removal of original features, but it felt like a happy house, and we were young enough then to willingly take on the challenges it presented.

I loved my house from the moment I saw it. For 26 years I have had a New Year resolution: This year I will finish this house.
The house had other ideas, and I now publicly and formally give in and renounce that misguided resolution. Dear old house, I will continue to improve, restore and care for you, but finish you? Impossible!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails