Tuesday 24 March 2009

and more




Oh, the joy of reading this Children's Press translation of HC Andersen, with its antiquated language, and the thrilling horror of the Snow Queen, a moving love story filled with unforgettable, vivid characters such as the terrifying little robber maiden with her cruel dagger, and the wise yet squalid women from Lapland and Finland! I have wanted to see the Northern Lights ever since (and could probably benefit from having my imaginary view of both countries seriously challenged and modernised).

And the other book, also much loved, seems to be one of those accidentally-filched ones, as I find that the inscription shows it to be a gift to my sister from me, in 1963. Sorry, Anne; you may have it back if you wish.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails