Tuesday 30 June 2009

allotment gardening - the Dark Side


Oh dear, black clouds are gathering over our leafy Eden. The secretary appears to be on the warpath. An Allotment Committee Meeting has been called for this coming Sunday, and Roger, quoting one of the old codgers, tells me that it appears to concern "getting rid of A".

Now I've never met or even seen A from a distance, and her plot, the blighted one with huge tree roots, is indeed a bleedin' disgrace, probably because it hasn't seen her either, but so is the one next to Eddie's, shared by a dentist and a policeman (true! supposed pillars of society - you can tut loudly here). The secretary's oft-threatened but previously mythical Letters have been sent out, and the errant gardeners should have 4 weeks in order to make a respectable effort. It may be that the meeting is intended to ratify the first step in eviction of these offenders, in which case it seems a bit premature to me. Or as they say here, a bit previous.

However, these are not the only plot holders to make little effort, and two other allotmenteers, not happy with the arbitrary nature of the Letter-sending, asked me what I thought we should do. All I could think of, my heart sinking at the sudden and unusual emergence of open conflict and decisive action, could only think of being awfully British and playing fair. "Er, ask them if they really want their plots - they have paid their year's rent, after all - give them more time, and (oh, a revolutionary thought, this!) maybe even give A a hand".

Something tells me that this Sunday's meeting will not be seeking arbitration, mediation, or even ordinary niceness; I'm not looking forward to it. Maybe I should make cakes again.

Eddie the Poisoner tried to convince me today that my own Letter would reach me next week.

6 comments:

rogern said...

I am convinced my letter is in the post too, especially as the weeds have romped so much in the damp and humid weather of the last week.

I certainly wish I had so much energy in this heat!

Susan said...

Stop you're killing me. Will I be able to stand the suspense until Sunday's past. I think not. What kind of cakes will you take ? Where has A. been ? Will Rogern get "his" letter ? Please a book, please or what's that I'm hearing - screenplay ? more, more ... please.

Gretel said...

Well, speaking as someone who is on a waiting list for an allotment, and with the huge upsurge in demand for them, I am on the side of the committee in this one, though it should be even handed and the dentist and the policeman should also tend to their plots or else. Having an allotment, even if you are paying rent, is really a privilege nowadays, and should be respected as such.
(Good job I'm not on your committee, cakes would not sway me from savagery!)

Linda said...

What an apt photo - you are clever!

I would hate this situation too, even if it was not my 'patch'. I hated office politics too, and do not miss that side of working at all.

rachel said...

There's more to this than meets the eye! Allotment politics can be dark and dirty.....

Heaven knows what A may have done to be so singled out. Heaven knows why Roger (or I, for that matter) get away with murder some years and don't receive a Letter. I'll let you know what transpires.....

Pam said...

Is A married to E?

Related Posts with Thumbnails