Monday 22 June 2009

you have to love 'em

The best thing about this Live Feed widget is the constant pleasure of discovering the glorious place names that come (sometimes wrongly - out by 1000 miles, one of you said) with the visitors. Wolfville, Antigonish, Germantown, Ambala, Decatur, Tassin-la-demi-lune, Trois-rivieres....so evocative, so mysterious, so completely unknown to me, and thus ripe for fantasising as to the inhabitants, what they wear, how they talk, who named their towns. I want to visit them all. Especially Wolfville....

Sorry, Milton Keynes and Birmingham, I've visited you already. I know you aren't magically suspended in time, somewhere around the mid-1600s, although I'll grant that you do speak an unusual form of English.

4 comments:

judy in ky said...

Hello from Florence (KY, that is). Can you tell me how to get this live widget for myself? I would love to know who is visiting me. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

It's always interesting to see where your readers are located. Apparently, many of my fellow Canadians appreciate your blog. People of taste, obviously.

Here's a little-known fact about Trois-Rivières: there's actually only one "rivière". Explorers sailing down the St. Lawrence came to the mouth of another river (later named the St. Maurice), and the islands that stood at the confluent made it appear as though 3 rivers met there.

(I used to love telling visitors about this when I worked at the tourist info centre. Even people who have lived here all their lives don't know about this!)

BumbleVee said...

hey look!! today mine says exactly where I am... Calgary.... now, it's really a guessing game. Some days it tells the truth..and some days mine is the one off by a thousand.... even I may not have been to the town it claims I'm beaming in from.... lol....

Anonymous said...

I know it tells you I'm from Birmingham but in truth I'm still near the Itchingtons in Warwickshire quite a lot of the time, and Deppers Bridge is near too. It's the routers you know, the routers that's doing it, because of broadband I believe. Lovely interesting posts about your out and about days.

Related Posts with Thumbnails