Wednesday 21 October 2009

But on the other hand....



I thought I'd try another new recipe on the willing testers who were gathering at my house last night. This is from Martha Hay's 'Baking', and would have deserved its place in the low fat section if I'd actually had low fat, rather than calorie-laden who-cares cream cheese for the filling. I also had to substitute Bailey's for the Tia Maria (from one of those teeny little bottles airlines give you) and as ever, demonstrated a somewhat cavalier approach to the icing. No points for presentation: wonky slicing, uneven spreading, no piped decoration. Finesse isn't my strong point.

But no one fussed; they fell on it like wolves, albeit polite wolves who could murmur unconvincingly "Oh, I really shouldn't....but...." before sinking bared fangs into the coffee icing.


And this is all that was left. Just enough for me this morning! (Sorry, Shelagh.)

9 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Oh , I just returned to commiserate over your griddle . But , thanks to new entry , see that you are a versatile and accomplished baker of any number of treats , not just drop scones. In my experience , the only ones who notice wonky icing are those who dab the corners of their mouths between minute mouthfuls . Everyone else would have fallen on that cake like wolves . You're lucky to have a piece over for this morning !

Anonymous said...

An insightful post on slow lane life
I did come across a websitehttp://www.gotoaid.com/. It’s has all information on first aid emergencies. It has information on Human emergencies and even for pets like cat or dog. Hope it help you guys too.


Signature: Online First Aid Kit

Susan said...

sigh ... oh yum my fair gâteau
xo S, Missy D avec les Chats

rachel said...

All gone now....

I don't know ANYone who takes minute mouthfuls!

Bee said...

Personally, I would call this cake an astounding example of "finesse." Glad to hear that there are other people who scarf up the pudding left-overs for breakfast. (My family fights over them.)

BumbleVee said...

Mmmmmmmmmmchocolate and coffee flavour........ oh, yeh........I'll have two chunks please....

mountainear said...

Just knew there wouldn't be any left for long. Looks fantastic. Let me know when you bake another!

Shelagh said...

Well, at least you thought of me when you scarfed down the last slice. Harrumph!

rachel said...

How do you know I scarfed (up or down, I notice) that last slice? I might have taken minute mouthfuls and dabbed the corner of my mouth after every teeny morsel, you know....

Related Posts with Thumbnails