Wednesday 8 September 2010

Grooooooh!


....as they used to say in comics, usually about a foul taste. "Pong" too, because the house smells very nasty, although both front and back doors are open.

I discovered the forgotten cauliflower, still crisp and white, at the bottom of the fridge this afternoon, and, not having the ground almonds to make Sarah Raven's wonderful Cauliflower Soup, decided to make a cheese sauce while the steamer did its work.

Then the doorbell rang: Sandra, returning yesterday's apple pudding dish, bringing her own cup of tea and some knitting. Cheese sauce made, the cauliflower needed only another 3 or 4 minutes to be ready.

We retired to the front room.

You know what's coming next....



But in case you didn't know already, cauliflower eagerly absorbs the vilest taste of blackened steamer pan. I wish I hadn't tested it to find out.....

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear, my the smell must have been quote something!

Mac n' Janet said...

I've cooked this before, you must have used the same recipe. LOL

jabblog said...

So now you're going to cook some rhubarb to clean the pan? It happens all too easily, doesn't it? What a shame. (trying not to laugh!)

judy in ky said...

Ugh! But thank goodness you didn't leave the house. I did that once and the pot melted all the way down into the stove, and I had to replace both. I had to get a new pot AND a new stove! It smelled pretty bad, too.

silfert said...

Another sound effect comes to mind -- Urk! Time for a nice, long walk.

the veg artist said...

I put my steamer with veg on without water a while ago. The smell must have been similar!

Lucille said...

Boiled some eggs dry once. They exploded and hit the ceiling.

Fran Hill said...

You know, I swear I could actually smell that while I was reading it. Cauliflower's bad enough, without being nuked.

Pam said...

Just as well you didn't have any viewings...

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Bleugh !!
I do that with potatoes sometimes just for a bit of a change .

Anonymous said...

Oh dear - been there, done that! I rescued sone broad beans the other day that Malcolm had forgotten about - which was just as well as they were in my favourite saucepan!!

Catherine said...

GAAAK! Oh I can imagine the smell. We had a very old egg accidentally break open once. The smell was horrific!

Hope you get a breath of fresh air soon! :)
xo Catherine

Related Posts with Thumbnails