Friday 11 March 2011

Friday miscellany



Nothing personal, dear Friends, but once again I have closed (well, 'deactivated' - it never really lets you go) my Facebook account; I only reopened it when L went to the ashram last year and used FB as her main means of staying in touch. Facebook just creeps me out. Hard to explain why, but it feels slightly stalkerish, if you know what I mean. And that's with privacy settings calibrated to what I would hope was bulletproof level. I find that I am not alone in this aversion.

I do love a good email though...(hint hint)...but only if there's an address for a reply.


I've just spent £39 in the least alluring way: on roundworms. Or, rather, the annihilation of. We've been to the vet's this morning. Flossie came along just for the ride, although I also had her weighed. She was enticed onto the scales with treats and soft words, having first tried to make a hasty backwards-shuffling escape, and to my satisfaction has regained the weight she lost when she was so sick.

She emerged with relief and a tummy full of treats from the soft-hearted nurses, and didn't leave a little puddle on the scales this time. The jolly nurses are down to their last box of Christmas chocolates from clients, but tell me that they have 12 boxes of biscuits to get through next. These may disappear quicker than the chocolates, given the number of dog patients who call round.


No, the real patient today was Millie, who had lost weight and a great deal of her former 'oomph'. The vet confirmed what I had suspected, that the recent worming pill hadn't  worked thoroughly, and after examination, an anti-emetic injection for her uncomfortable tummy, and a higher-strength worming pill, she emerged with credit. Some quiet growling and hissing, but no struggling, biting or scratching, just anxious little damp paw prints.

Poor little girl. For all that she is lively and independent, Millie tugs at my heart strings rather more than the others do, perhaps because her fearlessness makes me fearful on her account.


Since then, she has followed me around the house, seeking reassurance after her nasty morning excursion.

Flossie has shared toys with her.


She has helped me write this post.


She has kept me company.


Let's hope she's back on form soon. The Naughtiest Kitten Ever has to be in there still.....

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little Millie... I hope she recovers very soon and is back to her old troublemaking self!

Rattling On said...

Couldn't agree more about FB. I have an alias, which I know is fundamentally wrong, but it saves a lot of hassle. I also have personal experience of the invasive nature of this medium.

jabblog said...

I use FB mainly to see what the rest of my family is doing - in UK, Canada, Morocco. I must have the least number of friends of anyone I know - true on FB and definitely so in 'real' life;-/
Hope your delightful Millie continues to improve - I understand your fears for her.

the veg artist said...

Poor Millie. No wonder she hasn't been able to fix the dishwasher! She'll perk up soon, surely.

I totally agree about FB. And as for Twitter - WHY?? Can't people amuse themselves for more than 10 minutes any more?

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I've never Facebooked or Twittered or texted in my life and have only ever had two mobile phone conversations . I'm beginning to feel like Rip Van Winkle .
But on the plus side , I've never had worms either and can only sympathise with Millie , who has . She looks bit like I feel after I've been to the dentist . I wish her a speedy return to bouncing good health .

Anonymous said...

I have avoided Facebook, as I spend enough time online reading blogs, without frittering away even more time that could be better employed doing something productive! Poor little Millie, I hope she recovers soon.

Pam said...

Oh dear, poor Millie! Nasty worms. Hope she's better soon.

Susan said...

Dear Team,

We've managed to avoid facebook and get ready for this one - have never owned a cellular phone. Shock of all shocks. Never will, either of them.

Oliver does so love a good long Millie post. She is so regal and beautiful but he is very sad that she's not well and hopes for a tres speedy recovery. He especially enjoyed that Flossie Millie shots for he too has two dog companions (which he thoroughly enjoys lording over).

over & out, take care + lots of love,

Les Gang

Gwen Buchanan said...

I agree, Facebook feels like voyeurism to me.

Lyn said...

We do hope Millie is back to 100% really soon, she is such a beautiful girl!
love
Lyn
xxx

Fran Hill said...

I'm glad you confirmed that the £39 was spent on getting rid of roundworms rather than stockpiling them for a rainy day.

Planet Penny said...

Visits to the vets are so traumatic for all concerned. Henry will have to go again on Monday as his chronic sneezy thing is back again. Each visit gets scarier for everyone, I'm sure he didn't learn that language from me! Hope Millie is back on form very soon Pennyx

Mary ,East Coventry USA said...

Hope dear Millie is soon back to form-she has many loving thoughts coming her way. The first time I saw her picture,I was so moved to see how much alike she and my Millie cat [who passed away last year]look. Reading about and enjoying the photos have meant a lot to me. Thanks for that.
I think Millie will soon be back to her sweet,naughty ways.

Anonymous said...

Could we, somehow, arrange for Farcebook to be struck down with a "heavy worm burden"? (vet-speak for intestinal parasites)
I hate facebook! Email, blogs and "proper" letters are lovely!

Unknown said...

I do so get you on the Facebook thing, I gave in and joined up as a business promotional tool but it terrifies me. Glad Millie's troubles have been identified.

molly said...

Reading this makes me once again glad I have never succumbed to the many invitations to join FB. It creeps me out too!
Love, love, love the pic of Flossie sharing her tous with Millie! Who needs people when you have such wonderful animals?

Maggie Christie said...

I dip toes occasionally into both FB and Twitter but I'm too terrified to become an obsessive.

Millie is such a beautiful cat. I hope she's fully better soon. I love that picture of her playing with Flossie's toys.

Marcheline said...

Cheer up, Millie - life is looking up already! You're out of the vet's office, and you have the sympathies of all the blogiverse behind you! Brave girl!

lovethosecupcakes said...

Just in case Millie hasn't seen it and to cheer her up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6CcxJQq1x8

Mise said...

Yes, Facebook, so undignified. I haven't logged in for months now and am all the better for it. Why don't we all send you a postcard instead, in our best handwriting?

alice c said...

I am banned from FaceBook by MasterM and MissM. They are afraid of what I might see. Which is rather worrying when I think of what they are prepared to share with me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails