Friday 31 August 2012

The weighty matter of packing


I am stressed.  Preparing for a relaxing holiday is stressful.

The Gardener says, in gung-ho tones, "Passports, tickets, money!"

I say "Shoes, toiletries, clothing!"

and add, sotto voce, "and the rest.... list for house sitter, mostly to do with pets' bodily functions, instructions re peculiarities of said pets, oven, heating system, doorbell, where everything is situated, who to call on for help and/or information", and so much more.

I curb my natural tendency to pack as though I am travelling to Outer Mongolia where the nearest chemist or corner shop may be some days' hard travelling away. I fill the wash bag to cope with all contingencies; I pack changes of comfy shoes, Kindle, phone, sterling and euros, list of emergency contacts, and so much more. I unpack when the scales show that I must, and reluctantly discard the least essential items, although I feel that it's all essential. Except for the bathing costume - I unpack that and hide it. I hate swimming, and now I can't possibly be coerced into it.

Meantime, The Gardener stocks up on cameras,  iPad, cables, chargers, and not much more. Is he really intending to spend a week in the same shorts and t-shirt? I re-pack for him, adding changes of comfy shoes, t-shirts, shorts, a hairbrush, and take some of his techie stuff out of his overloaded hand luggage and put it in mine.

All has been weighed and re-weighed; all just meets the rather stingy weight limitations of the airline.

Now we just have to clean, hoover, wash up, fluff cushions and pets, walk Flossie for the last time, and then we can set off for the airport and the handover there to house sitter Lesley of car keys (The Gardener's car; mine is still in the garage awaiting parts) and the 3-page list of information, instructions, handy hints and general neurotic ramblings that I've compiled with detailed diligence over the past week. I've also had my hair cut and coloured, my painful back massaged and my toenails painted a delicate pink. I'm ready. I'm exhausted.

The forecast for where we are heading is for rain. I don't pack raincoats or umbrellas, but I would if I had the weight allowance.

Tickets, passports, money, my eye.

See you in just over a week's time. Majorca, here we come!

26 comments:

Jan said...

Hope you have a great time! Enjoy!

Jx

Lucille said...

Ha! So many bells ringing there! Have fun.

mountainear said...

Toe nails gold here!

And that was the easy part at the end of the day when I realised nobody was going to make me mow the rest of the grass* and I could find time for ME.

It is so hard going away. Have a lovely time.

*hmm. It will be knee high when we come home. Pay back time.

mountainear said...

Toe nails gold here!

And that was the easy part at the end of the day when I realised nobody was going to make me mow the rest of the grass* and I could find time for ME.

It is so hard going away. Have a lovely time.

*hmm. It will be knee high when we come home. Pay back time.

Dan said...

'Passport, tickets, money' is that a line from Shirley Valentine?
You sound really well prepared for your hols.
I hope you both have a fab time Rachel!
Dan
-x-

flwrjane said...

I feel your pain.

Now that you've halved it, go enjoy yourself!

xo jane

Arthur Ransome said...

Here's hoping you have sun and fun. Looking forward to the photos.

alice c said...

I am sending MissM to assist you. Not only will your wardrobe coordinate and be appropriate for every eventuality but you will be able to fit everything in to a small bag and arrive looking chic and unflustered.

Have a wonderful time. Soak up that sunshine.

dinahmow said...

Probably pointless saying "have fun" as you wont see this til you're back!
Now, I am so utterly exhausted from reading your pack/unpack/repack saga I think I need to lie down.
Or perhaps I could tuck some clean undies into my laptop bag and come over and show you how it's done? Ooh, there's a thought!

judy in ky said...

Your pre-holiday stress sounds exactly like mine! Have a wonderful time.

Bow Street Flowers said...

I'm on board too, in spirit!

Noelle the dreamer said...

Safe trip and enjoy yourselves!
Majorca is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

i hope your holiday is a restful and happy one. you remind me of me when i pack to go to bali. everything is available over there these days but i pack it anyway. your house and pets will be fine. repack your swim suit and enjoy yourself.

the veg artist said...

Well, have a lovely time/hope you had a lovely time! (delete as appropriate!)

Jen said...

I am the same way--it can be stressful getting ready for a vacation. I just hope the trip itself is both fun and relaxing.

Rattling On said...

Have a wonderful time! I never pack until the night before, and then just chuck stuff in. My work bag has a smaller 'kit' in it that has everything that could be needed in almost any minor emergency and I transfer that over. Shoes are always the obstacle...

Marcheline said...

Oooooooh! Have a wonderful time! Can't wait for photos!

Anonymous said...

We usually go by car so no weight restrictions for us. Have a wonderful time.

Dartford Warbler said...

It will be worth it when you get there!

Have a fantastic holiday. The wild bits of Mallorca are so beautiful

hasenschneck said...

Hope you have a really relaxing time. I'm going to imagine you by a pool, when I know you'll really be scouring the north (I think) of the island for things to photograph. But perhaps I'm getting it mixed up with somewhere else.

Lesley said...

Ooooh, I'm jealous! I'm sure you're having a wonderful time over there. Looking forward to the pics on your return.

Lesley x

jabblog said...

Enjoy - and plan something relaxing for when you get back;-)

Val said...

Have a lovely time and take lots of photographs! Safe trip back home.

Val said...

Have a lovely time and take lots of photographs! Safe trip home.

rogern said...

hope you're having a lovely time and that there will be lots of photos on your return. r.x

judy in ky said...

EEK! The stress of preparing for a vacation. I begin about a month ahead of time and pack and repack until I think I have it right. Then I always need something I didn't pack or don't use something I did pack!
Don't listen to me, though. Relax and have a wonderful time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails